Thursday, June 25, 2009

Solicitation

I think I might need a "no solicitation" sign in my front yard for the rednecks that apparently live in my town. Yesterday there was a knock at my door. I open it, and there stands a young boy about 7-8 years old. I don't know him, and I look behind him and see that there is an idling vehicle in front of my house, in which I assume was a parent. I smile at this boy and he proceeds to say that he is taking donations. At this point my smile gets a little tight...and as he proceeds the smile is gone and and the eyebrow goes up. HE IS TAKING DONATIONS SO HE CAN GO TO BASEBALL CAMP! He calmly explains that it costs $400 and the money is due next week. I attempt to glare at the Dodge Durango sitting in the street, but the windows are tinted, of course. I grudgingly gave the kid my most wrinkled up dollar, and sent him on his way.

As Teresa from New Jersey would say....Puh-Lease!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

I love that! What I love even more is how it seems like there is a "homeless" person on every street corner wanting a handout. Especially the ones that have poorly hidden their souped up bike in a bush behind them. My hubby used to work with a couple of people who did that as a second job. They made good money. Sad. I wish I could do it, too! Might come in handy now that we have a baby due in December! Maybe I'll go door to door asking for donations for the hospital bill instead. Might as well plan ahead, right?

Kim said...

Ha ha...I'm watching the Teresa as I type this.

Wow, I can't believe that people would do that!

Denisha said...

I am just impressed that you gave the kid money! Wow, please stop me if I ever become that parent.

{Amanda G} said...

Annie-
Hi! I don't know if you remember me. We were in the singles ward together in Lexington and for a while we went to Bluegrass together. My name is Amanda (Hall). I found your blog from Denisha's blog. Your little family is so cute!