Friday, November 19, 2010

Semolina Cake - French Fridays

This cake was interesting.

I couldn't decide if I liked or not.

This is a gorgeous cake made out of Cream of Wheat of all things. After you make up this deliciously sweet Cream of Wheat mixture, it bakes in a caramel sauce like a pineapple upside down cake.

My gut told me to leave out the raisins, but I didn't. And, my gut told me to leave out the squeeze of lemon juice from the caramel sauce.....and, I didn't. I think if I would have left those two things out and added just the tiniest pat of butter to the caramel sauce--I would have enjoyed it more.

However, my 4 year old really like it. She must have a more sophisticated palate then me. (Like I always suspected.)

See this nice close up:

I contemplated only posting the close up, but I believe in full disclosure...I had a little mishap when extracting cake from pan.

5 comments:

Cheesy Pennies said...

I'm glad you showed both photos! Looks aren't everything, after all. My cake just came out of the oven, so I have to wait to see what it tastes like, but it looks yummy!

Kris' Kitchen said...

I love both your photos. I'm making this next, so I appreciate all the tips and mistakes, hoping I will learn and do a little better. Your cake does look lovely, even with the mishap.

Trevor Sis Boom said...

I liked it this week as well but my gut told me to do a lot of things I didn't which I do think would have made it better. Learning is what its about, right?
Trevor Sis. Boom.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing both pictures. I think this cooking group is going to cause a lot of us to have learning moments and mishaps, but I think it's part of the charm. I tried currants in this cake and then cranberries, both of which worked really well.

Steph said...

LOL...loved your second shot. Happens to all of us. Where else can our bumbles be appreciated!