Wednesday, December 9, 2009

American Cheese

At some point in my adulthood I became a cheese snob. (Which is to say I quit eating cheese out of a can or that came individually wrapped in plastic.) I don't know why, I don't remember when I made the decision--I just stopped. But something happened last week. . . . my grocery store had a deal. If you buy $10 worth of items, you could get a package of their store brand American cheese singles for 1 penny. So, I thought, why not.

The next day I made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. As we took our first bite, Adrian and I looked at each other in wonder. It was most delicious grilled cheese sandwich I had eaten in years. Adrian described it as "warm deliciousness exploding in his mouth."

All this week the baby Swiss that I bought at the same time as the store brand American Cheese has just sat there unopened. I hope it doesn't spoil.

The most ironic part of this story is our three year old refuses to eat the American cheese--only sharp cheddar for her (or extra sharp if you have it). .....sigh....Kids these days.

2 comments:

Angie said...

my grilled cheese sandwiches are ALWAYS made with the individually packaged american cheese...the warm, melty goodness is divine.

Kari said...

Grilled cheese and cheeseburgers just aren't very good without American cheese slices. It melts perfectly and is nice and creamy. I just shake my head at cheeseburgers with cheddar cheese!